We follow a four step process for the development of the IT Strategy. These are:
- Where are we now?
- How is the business changing?
- Where we want to be?
- How do we get there?
- Where we are now? is a comprehensive analysis of the current state of IT in the organization. In this stage opinion is sought from the business leaders, process owners, IT architects, managers and specialists.
- How is the business / IT landscape changing? This step is to understand business goals and the drivers of change. Changes to the business operating conditions, business strategy and technology changes are a key driver.
- Where we want to be? Understanding of current situation and the changing landscape leads us to choices about the desired future state. Stakeholder views are important here as well. How best we support the business in the future? What capabilities are needed? What IT staff wants? These multiple perspectives shape the future state.
- How do we get there? Sub-strategies and road-maps, which move the organization from present to the future, form the migration plan. In addition to the technology aspects, we help define changes to people capabilities, governance and processes.
We start with the Business Strategy and goals to guide the IT strategy. This ensures strong alignment of IT Strategy to the overall organisations strategy. We work closely with the IT Leadership team, technical experts and thought leaders in development of the strategy to get commitment from the team. It also ensures that the strategy is realistic and can be implemented.